Through the years, the Cape Fear Chordsmen have supported local charities by donating the proceeds of our annual Christmas concert to Wilmington area causes. Our charity of choice for 2022 is the Salvation Army, Wilmington. The Salvation Army of Cape Fear has purchased property off Martin Luther King Parkway (1220 N. 30th Street) to build a new Center of Hope and Corps Community Center. The 25-acre complex in Wilmington will allow us to better serve our community and will be the center of our outreach to the five counties we assist: Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover & Pender. Some of the many services provided by our local office are:
- Shelter – a 52 bed facility for men as well as separate dorms for women & families. Breakfast & Dinner are served in the dining room.
- Life Skills – a program designed to assist current residents in seeking permanent housing
- Soup Line – A hot meal is served daily at 6:00pm to anyone this is hungry. No ID or other documentation is required.
- Emergency Assistance – some emergencies might include loss of employment, house fire, natural disaster, or medical emergency.
- Family Store Vouchers – Family Stores are stocked with donations of clothing, furniture and household items.
In addition to donating our resources, we have a group of dedicated men who donate their time and talents through our A.L.S.O. (Assisted Living Sing Outs) program. Most often we perform our ALSO at the convenience of the facility. These sing outs are generally requested in the morning or early afternoon when our working members find it difficult to get away but we still manage to muster enough men to present our Barbershop 4 part harmony.